Governing Board Approves 2021-2022 Spending Plan
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (June 24, 2021) – The Scottsdale Unified School District (SUSD) Governing Board put its stamp of approval this week on the district’s $481.7 million dollar expenditure plan for the 2021-2022 fiscal year that begins on July 1, 2021.
The spending plan provides an estimated $175 million to fund district Maintenance and Operations (M&O), $23.8 million for Capital expenses and $76.5 million in Bond spending, and allocates $39 million in federal funds, the majority of which comes to SUSD in the form of pandemic-related Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER) grants.
As no state budget for the coming fiscal year has yet been approved by the Arizona Legislature and signed into law by Governor Doug Ducey, much of the new SUSD budget is based on the current fiscal year’s spending plan and best estimates of future funding. Once final state numbers are known, the SUSD Board will revise the district’s newly adopted budget. That action will take place no later than September 15, 2021.
Highlights of SUSD’s 2021-2022 budget include:
- salary increases for all SUSD employees, including a 4% raise for all classified and certified staff, including substitute teachers
- the direction of $123.4 million, or 71%, of the M&O budget to student, teacher and classroom support
- the absorption of increases in employee health benefit premiums
- the elimination of more than 70 unfilled, vacant employee positions and
- a fifth consecutive reduction in the District’s combined primary and secondary property tax rate, to an estimated $3.4965 per $100,000 of a home’s assessed valuation.
“Our budget process began back in January,” says SUSD Superintendent Dr. Scott Menzel, “and, for the first time, included many more ways of gathering the input of parents, staff and community members. I am extremely proud of the end result, and believe this new budget accurately reflects this Governing Board’s priorities and the District’s direction for the coming year.”
See the complete SUSD 2021-2022 budget, as well as past years’ District budgets, at www.susd.org/Budget. To view Governing Board meetings anytime and download presentations made to the Board, please visit www.susd.org/Board.
# # #