Gifted Supplemental Reading Book List Committee
To review, evaluate, and recommend any proposed novel to be added to the Gifted supplemental curriculum or to review, evaluate, and recommend any book suggested for review by a parent/guardian of a student in SUSD schools.
1. Read book that is brought to the committee
2. Evaluate book based on a rubric that has been created by the committee for literary merit and potential sensitive issues
3. Using the rubric, discuss the book’s value for literary merit, instruction of standards, and content
4. By consensus, recommend the book for possible inclusion as a supplement to the core curriculum
Time Commitment is on an as needed basis, especially when:
- A teacher would like to suggest a new book to be added to the curriculum.
- A review is suggested by a parent of a current book that is part of the already approved curriculum.
Sarah Torrilhon, Director of Gifted and Accelerated Learning
Nicole Fagan, Gifted Coach
Traci Avalos, Teacher
April Goodman, Teacher
Stacy Liddy, Teacher
Shelly Hummon, Principal
Kimberlee McClure, Parent