Enhanced Distance Learning Camps
Enhanced Distance Learning Camps for SUSD Kindergarten through 8th Grade Students
We are pleased to announce that beginning Aug. 10, the first day of the new school year, SUSD will open five Enhanced Distance Learning Camps (EDL Camps) for families in the SUSD community with Kindergarten through 8th grade students.
The EDL Camps will provide families with a supervised place for their K-8 children to be during the school day while they are at work. They will continue to operate until such time as school campuses reopen for learning. This program is required under Executive Order 2020-51, Open for Learning, issued by Gov. Doug Ducey.
- Camps will be located at Desert Canyon Elementary, Hopi Elementary, Pima Traditional, Pueblo Elementary and Tonalea K-8.
- Space is limited to 100 students per site.
- Students will be required to stay at the camp for the entire school day.
- Applications will be prioritized in this order: children of First Responders (including health care workers); children of SUSD staff members; children who receive SUSD Special Education or English Language services; children who have a 504 Plan or attend a Title I school; children of Essential Workers.
- Nutrition Services will provide breakfast and lunch at all EDL Camp sites. Meals charges will be based on each student's individual, approved meal status: paid, reduced or free. Find the Free and Reduced Application online at susd.org/Meals, in school offices and at the Nutritional Services Office at 701 N. Miller Rd., Scottsdale, AZ 85257.
- Plans for additional locations are under consideration, based on community need as identified in this survey.
To submit an application for your child to attend an SUSD ELD Camp, please click here.
Before- and After-School Child Care
To address before- and after-school hour care, SUSD’s Community Education Department will offer fee-based programs at four of the five EDL Camp sites: Desert Canyon, Hopi, Pima and Pueblo.
The City of Scottsdale will sponsor a fee-based, after-school-only program at Tonalea. For information, please contact the City’s Youth Development office at 480-312-2329 or yd@ScottsdaleAZ.gov. Planning is still underway for the City’s usual after-school programs at Navajo, Hohokam/Yavapai and Echo Canyon.
Walk-In Learning Lab for Middle School and High School Students
SUSD will open a ‘walk-in’ Learning Lab at Coronado High School beginning Aug. 17 for District middle and high school students. Final details are in the works. It is possible that similar labs will be available at the other four high school sites in the coming weeks.