Rotary Scholarship Program 2019
ROTARY CLUB OF SCOTTSDALE
Scottsdale Unified High School Scholarship Program Class of 2019
This is a nomination scholarship. 2 OUTSTANDING DMHS seniors, in each category, will be selected by our scholarship review committee to continue in the competition. Those chosen to represent Desert Mountain will be required to provide further documentation so READ CAREFULLY!
Students may apply for more than one but must provide a separate set for each category.
Scholarships in 7 Categories:
Vocational/Trade for 2 year degree seeking (health, culinary, automotive, etc.)
Number of Available Scholarships:
One $10,000 scholarship for Visual Arts
Two winners in each of the other categories: $5,000 scholarship for first place ($2,500 per year for 2 years) and $2,500 scholarship for second place ($1,250 per year for 2 year)
First Responder/Military has a third scholarship of $1,000 for best all-around runner-up
HOW TO be considered for DMHS Nomination:
All categories require - Resume, transcript, 2 letters of recommendation* from teachers or other adult and the completed Rotary application printed out available on Naviance. (SAVE it, you’ll need again if selected)
For Business Plan – also submit your business plan* see category description for details.
For Visual Arts – see additional requirements and details of the scholarship below, for consideration, a few colored photocopies of work will do. CD/DVD will be required of DMHS nominees by April 16th @ 7:45 am.
- ALL materials are DUE to Mrs. Loftus in the College & Career Center by Monday, APRIL 8th @ 2:30pm
- *Letters of Recommendation can be forwarded directly to w/ your name as subject
- DM Scholarship Review Committee selects 2 seniors per category; students notified by 4/11 via email
- Selected nominees need to provide ADDITIONAL MATERIAL to Mrs. Loftus by April 16th @ 7:45am
- Selected nominees must interview @ Chaparral on Wednesday, April 24th @ 5:00pm.
This information is also available on Naviance, on the DMHS College and Career webpage, or from the DMHS CCC’s Mrs. Loftus. Students may also email questions to .
Each applicant must meet the following criteria to apply:
- Be a graduating senior attending one of the five Scottsdale Unified School District high schools
- Complete and return to counselor the completed pdf scholarship application if nominated
- Enroll and attend college, accredited university, community college, vocational/technical school fall 2019
- Be nominated by Desert Mountain in one of the scholarship categories, described below
- Provide recommendations from two teachers or other adults who are familiar with your activities with
respect to the sole category in which you are applying for a scholarship
- Attend the interview described below at scheduled date and time
- Applicant must be U.S. citizens and disclose scholarship dollars awarded them on or before April 24th
Do NOT have to attend an AZ college
One $10,000 Scholarship [one time only] - The Bob and Louise McCall Visual Arts Scholarship
Please provide the following:
1. Rotary Club of Scottsdale standard application form
2. Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
3. Two letters of reference from visual arts teachers, one of which should be current
4. One letter of character reference (total of three letters)
5. CD/DVD of photographs of your portfolio with an index of title, medium and size
6. A one-page essay addressing the question "What is your passion in the visual arts and what would this scholarship mean to you to advance in the visual arts?"
EACH of the following 6 categories award a First Place ($5,000) and a Second Place ($2,500)
Vocational/Trade Programs - technical and applied educational 2 year non-B.A. programs - students seeking careers in such fields as culinary service, health services, bookkeeping, executive services, agriculture, etc.
Performing Arts - drama, song, dance, orchestra, band, choir, chorus, etc.
Athletics - accomplishments in school-sponsored team sports
Science/Technology - students seeking careers in all scientific and computer fields such as the sciences (chemistry, physics, biology, etc.), mathematics, computer hardware & software, and technology, etc.
*Business - Provide a 2-page Business Plan summary that discusses the following:
1. Name and Category of the Business: Consumer goods? Technology? Service?
2. Description of Business Idea: Why would it be successful? What need does it fulfill or create?
3. Marketing: the product/service to your customers?
4. Competition: by other companies & their products/services?
5. Operations: how proceed with research & development, manufacturing, selling?
6. Management Team: what professionals do you need on your team and why?
7. Financial Projections: 5-yr forecast of gross revenue (selling price x #units sold), costs & net profits
- Web link for sample business plans & discussion https://www.sba.gov/business-guide/plan-your-business/write-your-business-plan
First Responders/Military – One $5,000 award ($2,500 per year for 2 years) - The Park Shaw Award for students going into the Military or seeking a career as a first responder (fire, police, EMT, etc)
Additionally, $1,000 Norval O. Tyler Scholarship for best all-around runner-up