HOBY - Sophomore State Leadership Seminar - Nomination & Scholarship
HOBY – A Sophomore State Leadership Seminar Program
ASU West Campus, June 7th through 10th.
One scholarship provided by Desert Mountain to 1st place nominee
Up to 7 other sophomore nominees will be recommended for priority registration (fee applies)
Each year the Hugh O’Brien Youth Leadership (HOBY) Program asks schools to nominate sophomores with great leadership potential to attend their program. The HOBY State Leadership Seminar is designed to help students realize their leadership talents and help them develop into effective leaders in their school and beyond. It is a well-recognized and established opportunity. Our students who have participated report that the program is a highlight of their high school experience. For more information, visit their website at http://www.hobyarizona.org/
DMHS annually nominates sophomores via the DMHS Scholarship Review Committee.
- This committee selects ONE sophomore from those who submit materials to receive a FULL SCHOLARSHIP to attend.
- Up to 7 other sophomores may be nominated by Desert Mountain to qualify for the guaranteed acceptance to the HOBY seminar. These students may choose to attend and pay the fee of $425.00, directly to HOBY.
Deadline: All sophomores interested must submit the following documents to Mrs. Loftus/College and Career Center for consideration by Tuesday, November 28 at 2:30 pm (firm).
- Unofficial transcript
- Current grade report
- List of activities (done in high school only) with dates of participation and estimated hours spent.
(i.e. Robotics Club - Secretary; Freshman year – 50 hours, Sophomore year – 20 hours)
- Statement on the reason(s) you would like to attend or what leadership means to you.
(no more than 100 words please)
- Statement of Intent typed onto a separate sheet of paper (as follows), signed by student and parent/guardian and include the Email addresses for student and parent:
“I am available and will attend the Arizona HOBY Leadership Seminar if selected as DMHS 1st Place nominee. The seminar will be held at ASU West Campus, June 7th through 10th. I understand I must attend the entire event and will stay with other state HOBY representatives each night, on the ASU West Campus dormitories.”