Attendance Phone Line: 480-484-7000 - press 1 for attendance
- Excused Absence: When a student misses 10 or more minutes of class, a parent/guardian calls and excuses their absence, and the student has followed sign in/out procedures to confirm their presence on campus.
- Unexcused Absence: When a student misses 10 or more minutes of class, their absences is not excused by a parent/guardian, and/or they have not followed sign in/out procedures to confirm their presence on campus.
- Tardy: When a student misses less than 10 minutes of a class period.
- Closed Campus: DMHS and all SUSD schools are closed campus. This means that students may not leave campus at any time during the school year unless checked out by a parent/guardian. This includes the lunch period – students may not leave for lunch and may not be excused to have lunch off campus.
- Food Delivery: To ensure the safety of our students, only parents/guardians may drop off lunch for their child. Food delivery services are not permitted at any time.
- Live Attendance in ParentVUE/StudentVUE: Parents can check their child’s attendance at anytime by logging into ParentVUE/StudentVUE.
- Excusing an Absence:
- Parent should call into the Attendance Line and leave a message to excuse their child’s absence(s).
- Documentation (ex: doctor’s note) should be provided whenever possible.
- Checking In Late:
- Parent must call the Attendance Line to notify the school that their child will be arriving late.
- Student must sign in through the Attendance Office.
- IMPORTANT: Both of these steps must be completed for the absence/tardy to marked as excused.
- Checking Out Early:
- Parent and student should made every effort to establish a time to meet in the front office ahead of time to avoid interruption to the classroom. We will call into the classroom in emergency situations only.
- If a parent is picking up their child early, they must come into the office and show a valid ID before the child is released.
- If a parent is calling to report an early release for a student driver, they must call 2 hours prior to the intended departure. The student must also sign out through the Attendance Office.
Attendance (Loss of Credit) Contracts:
- A student will be placed on an Attendance Contract when they have accrued 10 total absences or tardies in one or more class periods.
- Once a student is placed on an Attendance Contract, it covers all classes.
- A committee will meet toward the end of each semester to review each student’s circumstances and documentation to determine whether credit will be honored for the effected classes. Parent and student will be notified of the committee’s decision prior to final exams.
Arizona Law Regarding Attendance:
- ARS 15-803: It is unlawful for any child who is between six and sixteen years of age to fail to attend school during the hours school is in session.
- ARS 15-803(B): Absences may be considered excessive when the number of absent days exceeds ten percent of the number of required attendance days.