Attendance Policies and Procedures
Dear Chaparral High School Families,
In order to make sure things are running as smoothly as possible, please review the following policies and procedures related to attendance. If you have any questions, you can always call the attendance line.
What is a Tardy? Arriving to class after the start of the class period (indicated by the school bell) and missing up to ten minutes of class time.
What is an Absence? Not being present in class (either all day or a single period). Note: If a student is ten minutes (or more) late to class, leaves class early, or leaves class without permission, this is also an absence.
- Parents must call the attendance line prior to or on the actual day of the absence. If no contact is made to the school within 24 hours, the absence will be considered unexcused. No excusals after 24 hours unless a doctor’s note is provided. Attendance line is 480-484-6600. Please leave name, student ID, date of absence, late arrival or pickup time, parent name and phone number.
- Students arriving late and leaving early –MUST sign in/out through the attendance office.
- If a student is leaving school due to illness, please ask teacher for a pass to go to the nurse. The nurse will call home, so parents need not call attendance.
- In order to respect educational time, the office will NOT call into the classroom and disrupt class. Students should plan to leave during the passing period.
- The attendance office must be informed prior to the student’s departure (minimum of 1 hour notice) to ensure timely departure. The student is responsible for picking up pass from the attendance office before the start of class if leaving during instructional time.
- In order to have minimal disruptions, students must show their teacher the pass before the start of class to inform teacher they will be leaving early.
- If your parent has not called you out ahead of time, please plan to wait patiently. Students cannot loiter in the office. You must go back to class to wait for parent call if not received within five minutes of arriving in office.
- Students driving themselves must sign in and out through the attendance office when arriving late or before leaving campus for safety and accountability.
- Chaparral High School is a CLOSED CAMPUS. Students may NOT leave for lunch unless and a parent physically SIGNSOUT student.
- SUSD publishes attendance and tardies via ParentVue/StudentVue. Regular use of program will provide for a more proactive approach and avoid disciplinary action as it applies to attendance.
- 5 total absences per semester – Parent notification (If five or more are unexcused, then possible referral to SRO for habitual truancy)
- 10 total absences per semester – Parent notification, administrator contact and completion of loss of credit contract.
- 18 total absences per year – Parent notification, administrator contract, refer to law for citation, withdrawal and reenrollment process through the student’s corresponding school.
- 5 total tardies per semester per class – parent notification, disciplinary consequences.
- 10 total tardies per semester – parent notification, administrator contact and completion of loss of credit contract.
Thank you for your assistance in making this school year a great one!
Joshua Pantier, Assistant Principal