Welcome to Arcadia College & Career
The College & Career Center is a resource area for students and parents to seek information and guidance for educational career paths beyond high school. Take a look at what we have to offer on our webpage.
Please contact Susan Metzler if you have any questions or to set up an appointment.
Arcadia College & Career Announcements
The easiest way for a student to sign up for a college visit is to:
1. Sign into Family Connection (Naviance link).
2. Enter Student ID# for E-Mail and enter Student Birthdate (MMDDYYYY) where it asks for Password.
3. Go to the Colleges tab.
4. Click View All Upcoming Visits.
5. Click Sign Up for the college visit you wish to attend.
6. Click the Sign Me Up button. This will produce a “Confirmation” highlighted green box
Planning for College
FINANCIAL AID DEADLINE NOTE!
While universities have financial aid deadlines posted, most strongly advise that you have your materials in two weeks prior in case there are any issues they need to review with you prior to the deadline. So plan on having your paperwork in sooner than the deadline!
ACT - Link
SAT.org - Register here for SAT & view scores
FAFSA - Application for Federal Student Aid
CollegeBoard.org - Helpful for narrowing down colleges based on what you are looking for in a school as well as SAT registration and viewing scores
College Navigator - Information about specific colleges from the U.S. Department of Education
College Answer - Planning Guide from Sallie Mae
UNIGO.COM - College reviews written for students by students
UCAN - From the University and College Accountability Network
ACT and SAT Prep
There are different ways to prepare for college admissions, the SAT and/or the ACT. Some students prefer going to a class, while others like working one-on-one with a tutor. Students who have busy schedules may find that online test prep is the best for them.
Arizona public universities – ASU, NAU, UofA - do not require you to submit the SAT or ACT for admission purposes. In some circumstances, they can help you gain admission if your GPA is not as strong. However, you have to submit scores in order to be considered for merit scholarships.
We have some test prep books in the College and Career Center that you are welcome to borrow. I just ask that you return them as soon as you take your test as other students are waiting to use them. If you have any test prep books or study materials that you purchased and no longer need, we accept donations!
We cannot recommend one method or company to you – we can only provide you with options and information.
- Khan Academy College Board - The Khan Academy offers free interactive SAT prep via the College Board. It allows you to upload your PSAT results to create a personalized test prep.
- ACT Kaplan- Kaplan offers an online ACT test prep that includes live teacher led modules only available through the ACT website. It is offered for free if you qualify for an ACT fee waiver. There is a charge for those who do not qualify for the waiver.
- Linda Edgar's Tutoring - Linda Edgar’s Tutoring Service offers PSAT, SAT and ACT Prep. She offers classes as well as private instruction. 602-795-6312
- Vogel Prep - Vogel specializes in test prep. They offer private, semi-private and small group classes as well as boot camps. 480-990-7374
- Princeton Review – They offer a variety of test prep for ACT, SAT, PSAT, AP, and SAT subject tests. 1-800-2REVIEW ext. 1080
- Above Grade Level – In home tutoring for variety of subjects, study skills and ACT, PSAT, and SAT Prep. 480-773-7980
- Kaplan Test Prep – Kaplan provides many test prep options including classes, self-paced study, and online options. 602-448-5078
- Prep Factory - Prep Factory is a free online SAT and ACT test prep. It has questions, games, practice tests, and strategy modules.
- The Life Lab - Erin Timmerman is a private college counselor who works one-on-one with students to identify the right colleges and universities for them. She manages the application process from start to finish. 310-402-4804
Volunteer & Job Opportunities
We post job openings as a service to our students and the local community. Please contact the individual employers to make sure openings still exist.
Postings coming soon...
The vast majority of scholarship money comes from individual colleges and universities. A strong GPA and good standardized (ACT or SAT) test scores are the key to earning merit mid. Best of all, merit aid is usually renewable each year if you keep your grades up. Students can spend hours applying to individual scholarships with no guarantee of winning anything. While some Arcadia students do win small scholarships, the dollar amount offered to our students from colleges in Merit Aid is amazing. Study hard, challenge yourself academically, get good grades, prepare for the SAT or ACT, become involved in your community - then if you have time to apply for scholarships, do it! Community based scholarships sometimes come through the College and Career Center. They are mostly available in the spring and they are mainly for seniors. I have a Google Form (link below) that you can complete to help me identify scholarship candidates at Arcadia.
Raise.Me is a way to earn micro-scholarships starting in the 9th grade! Participating colleges, including ASU, UofA, and others from all over the country. Micro scholarships are awarded for grades, test scores, and activities. It's a good way for students to see how their hard work pays off. Below is the link.
Remember, applying for a scholarship takes effort!
FREE SCHOLARSHIP SEARCH ENGINES
MAKE SURE YOU ALSO CHECK NAVIANCE FOR NEW AND UPDATED SCHOLARSHIPS!
Opportunities Coming Soon...
College and Career Center
480-484-6364 | email@example.com
Hours: Mon-Fri 7:00 AM - 3:30 PM
College admission representatives can now go to https://repvisits.com to schedule an appointment with our high school.
Baylor University2212 Baylor University 2018-02-26 12:30:00 2018-02-26 13:30:00 #705189 0
Penrose Academy - lunch table2603 Penrose Academy - lunch table 2018-03-01 11:45:00 2018-03-01 12:30:00 #705189 0
NAU for Junors2213 NAU for Junors 2018-03-05 09:50:00 2018-03-05 10:45:00 #705189 0
SCC Accuplacer Testing2406 SCC Accuplacer Testing 2018-03-06 08:00:00 2018-03-06 14:00:00 #705189
For SENIORS attending SCC next year. You must sign up with Mrs. Metzler.0
Ottawa University, AZ2608 Ottawa University, AZ 2018-03-06 08:45:00 2018-03-06 09:30:00 #705189 0
SCC Enrollment Day at SCC2415 SCC Enrollment Day at SCC 2018-03-28 08:45:00 2018-03-28 12:45:00 #705189
This is only for Seniors who have applied to SCC and have taken the Accuplacer.0
College Bound Resources & Articles: