What is Title 1?
Title I is a federally funded program designed to help students meet academic standards in reading and math in order to succeed in school. Title I-A is a section of Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) that established these programs. It is formula-funded based on poverty levels, but the services provided are for students at-risk of not meeting Arizona's K-12 Standards in reading and math, so that they can improve their skills, succeed in the regular classroom and reach grade-level proficiency.
What is the purpose of Title I?
The purpose of Title I is to provide all children significant opportunity to receive a fair, equitable, high-quality education and to close educational achievement gaps. Title I supports our Title I schools to help ensure every child has access to an excellent education.
How is this accomplished?
- Supplemental programs (before/after school)
- Instructional support services
- School-wide reform efforts
- Teacher professional development
- Increased involvement of parents in their children’s education
- Evidence-based teaching strategies