Kiva Academic Programs
SUSD's Gifted Learning Programs are designed to provide advanced services for students who required specialized instruction to reach their full potential. Curriculum is differentiated beyond the grade-level standards.
Our curriculum incorporates these best practices for gifted students:
- Curriculum Compacting
- Enriching English Language Arts
- Integrated Thematic Instruction
- Independent Quests
- Thinking Globally and Acting Locally
Gifted Pre-K Academy
Gifted Pre-K Testing is available for a non-refundable fee of $120. Visit Gifted Learning for more information about testing, school tours and general information.
The Gifted Pre-K Academy is designed to serve the unique early learning needs of Gifted and Talented 4-year-olds who have superior verbal and quantitative abilities. We provide an enriched environment developed on the theme of Global Explorations that nurtures potential. Programs include musical instrument experiences, world language and global culture experiences.
- Rigorous Academic Curriculum
- Accelerated Curriculum for Language Arts and Mathematics
- World Language and Culture
- Musical Instrument Exploration
- Kaplan’s Universal Theme of Exploration
Gifted Learning in Kindergarten – Fifth Grade
All SUSD kindergarten students meet with the Gifted Enrichment Specialist for exploratory activities that promote creative thinking. Students with high potential will be invited to attend specialized pull-out classes to explore grade level curriculum in greater depth and complexity.
- Gifted Explorations
- Above Grade Level Challenge
Gifted and highly advanced first and second graders are clustered in their homerooms to give students opportunities to work with like-minded students. They also participate in the Program for Academic and Creative Talent (PACT) pull-out each week for 90 minutes.
- Gifted Cluster groups
Third through Fifth grade gifted identified students may qualify for Math Acceleration, English Language Arts Enrichment or PACT services depending on their individual needs.
- Math Acceleration
- English Language Enrichment and Above Grade Level Challenge
Featured Events & Academic Activities
Our teachers incorporate a wide range of learning activities throughout the year that support the curriculum as well as engage the school community. Below are some highlights.
- Pre-Kindergarten: Gifted Pre-K Academy
- Kindergarten: Desert Parade, Patterning Day, and Spring Music Program
- First Grade: Holidays Around the World, Kite Day, and Sounds a Little Fishy to Me Music Program
- Second Grade: Pumpkin Investigations, Pioneer Day, and Bug Music Program
- Third Grade: Vocabulary Parade, Bebop with Aesop Music Program, and Biography Wax Museum
- Fourth Grade: Arizona Days, Mountain Man, Band/Strings/Choir Concerts
- Fifth Grade: Hot Air Balloon Launch, Toastmasters, Beatnik Day
At Kiva, we are dedicated to educating the whole child. We meet each child where they are and work to ensure academic, social, and emotional growth.
ELA (English Language Arts)
In our primary classrooms, we utilize the Core Knowledge Language Arts (CKLA) curriculum. It is a research-based, comprehensive ELA program which encompasses phonemic awareness, phonics, grammar, reading, writing, speaking and listening. The curriculum builds on sound knowledge (phonemic awareness) and makes connections to letter names and sounds. These foundational skills support students in decoding unfamiliar words, reading fluency, writing, and spelling. In our intermediate classrooms we follow Units of Study which are aligned with Science and Social Studies curriculum. Students read a balance of engaging literary and informational texts with a focus on expanding knowledge across content areas.
Our math instruction utilizing the Big Ideas curriculum provides a balance of conceptual knowledge with operational fluency. Students experience hands-on lessons to build the conceptual knowledge that helps to lay the foundation for more abstract concepts throughout their mathematics education.
Science & Social Studies
Our Foss Science Kits promote scientific understanding through hands-on activities and emphasize the inquiry process. Social Studies concepts including history, geography, government, civics, and economics incorporated into Units of Study and various grade level activities.
Special Area Classes
Students visit the Library and Computer Lab weekly. They also participate in Music, Art, Spanish and Physical Education classes on a 6-day rotation. In 4th and 5th grade, students have the opportunity to join Band, Orchestra, or Choir. In addition to their own curriculum, our talented Special Area teachers often collaborate with classroom teachers to enrich and enhance instruction.
- Accelerated Reader
- AR Book Find - Find books written at your child's current reading level.
- AR Home Connect
- -Using your child’s username and password and see his or her progress. You can sign up to be notified by e-mail how your child is performing on AR quizzes.
- Brain Pop
- Discovery Education
- -Access from home.
- Education Place
- Love and Logic
- Single Sign On
- Typing Skills
- Middle School Accelerated Math - Parent Info Flyer
- Middle School Math FAQs - Student Readiness Indicators & Math Placement
Do you need ideas for your children’s reading? Check out these sites: