• FAQs

  • Who is my counselor?

    Students are assigned a counselor based on a student's last name - we go by alphabet. Please see our "Meet the Department" page for a break down, as well as counselor contact information.

    What are my options for contacting my counselor?

    For parents, email is typically the quickest, but you can also give us a call. 

    Students, please sign up for an appointment in the front office or email. 

    How do schedule changes work?

    Student initiated requests for course changes MUST be received prior to the 5th day of the course per the SUSD High School Planning Guide. After the 5th day, schedules lock into place for the semester. Counselors can not complete teacher or period changes. If a student has a concern about a teacher or course, please follow the concern chart and see student suggestions.

    If I get a D or fail a class, how can I replace the grade or retrieve credit?

    Although a D is passing for high school credit, colleges and universities will see a D as a deficiency and want it replaced with a stronger grade. Contact your counselor to discuss options. You must receive approval before taking any course off campus.

    What is the difference between regular, Honors and AP classes? Why should I take them and how many?

    • Regular classes are scored on a 4.0 scale. There is no summer work expected.
    • Honors classes are scored on a weighted 5.0 scale. The course is harder. It is geared for the student who wants to delve further into the subject. Summer work is sometimes expected. 
    • AP (Advanced Placement) classes are a college level version of the course, taught at CHS, by a Chaparral teacher. There is typically summer work expected prior to the start of the course. In May of the course, students across the country are all tested on the AP exam, a nationally standardized test. The test is scored 1-5. A score of 3 is considered to be passing; 4 and 5 are better scores and typically can earn college credit. When the student is accepted to a college or university, that school looks at the transcript, SATs, ACTs, and AP scores, if applicable. If the student did well enough on the AP test, the college may waive the student from an entry level course and/or may award college credits. One benefit is that it can save the student/family money. You do not have to pay for the college credit; you merely have to pay for the AP exam.

    The more weighted courses taken and successfully passed, the higher the GPA. The weighted GPA determines the class rank for current juniors and seniors. The current senior class has a top GPA of 5.0. The student who only takes regular classes will aspire to earn a 4.0. Honors and/or AP students will be aspiring to get closer to a 5.0.

    If you are a very strong student, try some honors classes. Take the classes that are of most interest to you, while also keeping in mind balance. We do not limit the number of advanced courses taken as that is an individual decision.

    What is ECAP?

    ECAP is the Education, Career, Action Plan required by the State of Arizona for all high school graduates. Counselors work with students each year to meet ECAP requirements through Major Clarity

    Where can I find my transcript? 

    Go to StudentVUE, click on “Course History” and find “Unofficial Transcript". Current students can now access their unofficial transcript any time. 

    How do I register for the SAT and ACT? 

    Each year, Chaparral schedules an ACT for all juniors to take in the spring semester. Students are automatically registered for the test and take it during their regularly scheduled school day. This test is free. If a student would like to take an additional ACT or SAT, they will register themselves. 

    Registration for the SAT and ACT may only be completed online. To register for the SAT, please visit www.collegeboard.com/sat. To register for the ACT, please visit www.actstudent.org. The process will take about 20-30 minutes. If you have any questions, please contact CollegeBoard or ACT, directly.

    When should I apply to college?

    Students will begin college applications in senior year. The first big wave of applications is due November 1st in a student's senior year - this is for students who would like to apply early. Counselors meet with all seniors within the first few weeks of school, as well as senior parents, to go over information to make sure all seniors are prepared and informed on how to achieve their post-high school goals. 

    I would like to be a college athlete. What do I need to do? 

    If you are a student who plans on being an athlete at the college level, you must register with the NCAA Clearinghouse. The registration website can be found at: www.ncaaclearinghouse.com. Students/parents should be very careful when reviewing this website, as there are many details that the students must adhere to in order to be eligible.

    Where can I find scholarships? 

    WARNING:  Students and parents should NEVER pay for scholarship searches or financial aid services.

    Most money will come from the school the student applies to. Once admitted to a university, that university will have a scholarship portal with available scholarships. In addition, goingmerry.com, fastweb.com, and scholarships.com are some popular sites. Please visit our College & Career website for additional websites and scholarship opportunities.

    What is a FAFSA?    

    Federal Student Aid, a part of the U.S. Department of Education, is the largest provider of student financial aid in the nation. Students and their families are required to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and meet the requirements to be eligible for student aid. The FAFSA typically opens on October 1st each year. For the 2024-25 academic year, however, it will open in December 2023The FAFSA should be completed in a student's senior year. Please visit www.fafsa.gov for more information.