- Scottsdale Unified School District
- Monthly Bond & Capital Override Project Update
May 2022 Bond UpdatePosted by SUSD Communications on 5/1/2022
The school year might be wrapping up, but construction projects around the district are heating up.
Kiva Elementary School
At Kiva Elementary School, progress continues, in alignment with the project schedule.
In early May, the Kiva staff will get its very first tour of the new campus buildings. Packing and preparation for the big move in June has already begun.
Pueblo Elementary School
At Pueblo and Tavan Elementary schools, design efforts for the rebuild and renovations continue.
We anticipate both projects will begin this summer.
Next month’s update will include some visuals so the community can ssee the designs and the way the schools will take shape.
Navajo Elementary School
At Navajo Elementary School, the community is celebrating what has been a four-year journey (be sure to check out the ABC15 story In the News).
Just two weeks into the 2018-19 school year, an overnight fire in a storage closet forced Navajo’s students and staff to relocate for two years. When they returned to their restored campus in September 2020, the pandemic was in full swing and no celebration to mark the joyous occasion was possible.
In April, the final phase of the restoration of the Navajo Building D began, starting with environmental remediation of asbestos and lead. General contractor GCON has been making great progress in recent weeks. Wall framing, electrical and plumbing activities are ongoing. Final phases of the new air conditioning equipment installation will wrap up in the next couple of weeks. The Navajo staff is looking forward to moving into this newly renovated building before the 2022-2023 school year begins in August. It will house an additional STEAM makerspace, four classrooms and teacher work areas.
Yavapai Elementary School
Yavapai Elementary School will welcome back students in August as part of the Coronado Learning Community reconfiguration. In preparation for the arrival of students and staff, Yavapai campus bond projects have been moved to the front of the line. The SUSD Governing Board recently approved both exterior painting and flooring projects. Bond dollars are also funding new security fencing, renovated air conditioning equipment, and the replacement of windows and doors in the media center. We are excited to welcome students and staff back to the Yavapai campus in August of 2022.
Yavapai’s new principal, Dr. David Priniski, and the entire Yavapai teaching staff will host a community BBQ on Wednesday, May 18 at 5 p.m. to welcome families back to the Thunderbirds’ home campus at 701 N. Miller Rd., Scottsdale. There will be food, family fun and parent tours of the school. We look forward to seeing you there!
April 2022 UpdatePosted by SUSD Communications on 4/1/2022
As the 2016 voter-approved bond program winds down, major projects at Pueblo and Tavan Elementary schools are gaining momentum, and the Kiva rebuild is taking shape. All the while, tennis teams at Desert Mountain and Saguaro High schools are serving, smashing and loving their newly refurbished and rebuilt tennis courts.
Kiva Elementary School
- Masonry is complete on all four buildings
- Roofing is completed and the 100 and 200 buildings have been weather-proofed
- All four buildings’ exterior walls are primed and ready to be painted
- Work on the 100 and 200 buildings’ interior framing, electrical, plumbing and drywall is ongoing
The Kiva project remains on schedule and within the Guaranteed Maximum Price (GMP) approved by the Governing Board
Pueblo Elementary School
At Pueblo, we are moving into the Construction Drawing (CD) phase of the design.
- McCarthy Building Companies is currently working on a progress budget, using the completed Design Documents (DD)
- A final Visioning Committee and staff meeting is scheduled for April 28th after school
- A final community meeting has not been scheduled to date, but is anticipated to take place in early May
- An early procurement GMP will be brought before the Governing Board on April 26th
Tavan Elementary School
At Tavan, we are moving into the Design Documents (DD) phase of the design.
- CORE Construction is currently working on a progress budget, using the completed Schematic Design Documents (SD)
- A final Visioning Committee and staff meeting has not been scheduled to date because the design work is still in progress. It is anticipated this meeting will be scheduled prior to the end of the school year
- A final community meeting has not been scheduled to date, but is anticipated for late May
- A civil/site work GMP package will be brought before the Governing Board on April 26th
Desert Mountain High School
- We have completed the resurfacing of 3 tennis courts
Saguaro High School
- We have completed the complete replacement of 8 tennis courts
- The improvements to the all-sports film room will be completed in two weeks