ATTENDANCE LINE - 480-484-1400, option 1
Parents/Guardians – If your student is going to be tardy or absent, you must call and leave a message on the attendance line. Ideally, this message should be provided before the beginning of the school day. Please include your name and relation to student, student’s first and last name, student ID number, date and reason for absence.
When a parent wishes to have a student excused before the close of the school day, the attendance office must be informed prior to the student’s departure and an administrator or their designee must provide permission. The parent must sign-out at the front desk with the exact time in order for the leave to be excused.
- What is a Tardy? Arriving to class after the start of the class period (indicated by the school bell) and missing up to ten minutes of class time.
- What is an Absence? Not being present in class (either all day or a single period). If a student is ten minutes (or more) late to class, leaves class early, or leaves class without permission, this is also an absence.
- What is an “excused” absence? The Code of Conduct on page 46 states the definition of “excused absence” according to state law (ARS 15-901) and the Arizona Department of Education. Acceptable reasons are illness, doctor or legal appointment, bereavement, family emergency, family vacation, school-sponsored events, and out-of-school suspension. All others are to be unexcused. Furthermore, absences must be called in by a parent and include one of the above reasons in order to be excused. Fear of illness is not listed as an excusable absence.
- What is Excessive Absences? Per A.R.S 15-803(B) absences may be considered excessive when the number of absent days (excused or unexcused absences combined) exceeds ten percent (18 days) of the number of required attendance days prescribed in A. R.S 15-802(B)(1). Students with excessive absences will be required to provide medical documentation to remain in class and excuse any further absences. If an absence occurs relating to any other term or condition that is not specifically designated herein, the absence shall be counted as unexcused. Students with 10 consecutive absence days shall be withdrawn from the school effective the last day of attendance.
- Please speak with the Principal if you need a chronic ill form to continue enrollment.
Defining Excused Absences
An excused absence as outlined in the code of conduct is any absence for the following reasons:
2) Doctor appointment
4) Family Emergency
5) Out of school suspensions
7) Religious Holidays
8) School Activity