Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: What courses are available for my student?
A: All courses offered in SOL are listed on the SOL website.
- Q: Do kids learn the same standards, receive the same quality instruction, pacing and rigor in EDL and SOL or are they different as their brick and mortar school?
A: Yes, they do. All programs are aligned to SUSD standards and pacing guides. Teachers in Scottsdale Online deliver age appropriate instruction and support for students K-12. Students in K-8 have regular live instruction and teacher support to monitor their progress toward mastery.
- Q: How do we get devices to use?
A: Email email@example.com There will be a process for all SUSD students to check out if needed.
- Q: What is the percentage of asynchronous learning to synchronous learning?
A: At the HS level this is mostly asynchronous. At K-8 there will be some live (synchronous) teaching going on. .
- Q: How do we sign up our student for Scottsdale Online Learning?
- – enroll through the SOL website. (All families whether you are a resident of Scottsdale or not fill out the Open Enrollment
- Q: How can students participate in extracurricular activities through SOL?
A: Yes, they can check with their sites to see about those logistics.
- Q: If you start with this program and then see it is not working well for your student are you allowed to switch to the in person online platform?
A: Not currently, we are asking for commitment for the year to help staff both programs appropriately. Staffing will not be that flexible mid semester once classes begin.
- Q: Are the gifted classes conducted by gifted credentialed teachers?
A: No, but we offer honors level for most core classes 6-12 grades.
- Q: Will my child see her teacher live? What about her classmates?
A: Yes, there will be many chances for live interactions in the K-8 model.
- Q: Will there be live instruction? Will my child see her teacher’s face and other students?
A: Individual teachers will set schedules of live events within their classes for K-8 students.
- Q: I see information about 9-week courses, what is that about?
A: This is a structure for students in 6-12 grades. K- 5 will be a year long class.
- Q:Will all students be attached to their previous school and have access to social and emotional support resources?
A: Yes, we will keep those connections in place.
- Q: Will a SUSD teacher be assigned to all levels of students?
A: Yes, all staff will be SUSD employees.
Q: What is the percentage of asynchronous learning to synchronous learning?
A: Scottsdale Online Learning by nature is developed in an asynchronous environment. At the HS level this is asynchronous. At K-8 there will be live (synchronous) sessions for teacher lessons and whole class activities throughout the week.
- Q: 504s and IEPs – who will handle those?
A: Please email the SOL counselor for questions.
- Q: Do summer reading lists apply to SOL classes?
A: We always recommend summer reading for all levels. However, there are not requirements in place for SOL classes.
- Q: Will the elementary kids pick their class schedule, or will it be assigned to meet the requirements of their grade level?
A: Assigned per grade level
- Q: Can high school students do their coursework outside of normal school hours?
A: Yes, at the high school level it is very flexible.
- Q: What is the difference between Genius and Buzz?
- Genius is the initial login to the Student Information System. You must ALWAYS login to Genius to access your course. We suggest you login here and choose the SOL/Buzz tile Single Sign On
- BUZZ is the online learning platform where your courses are delivered.
- Q: How does my student login to Genius?
A: SUSD will automatically create an account for your student by the first day of classes. Students will access Genius through their Single Signon or directly
- Q: I logged in Genius and I can't see my classes. Where are they?
A: If you already have an account in Genius, your classes may be loaded, but will not be active until the first day of classes in each semester.
SCOTTSDALE ONLINE FAQ FOR SPECIAL EDUCATION
- Q: Would the Scottsdale Online Learning Model be appropriate for my child with an IEP?
A: Scottsdale Online is a self-paced general education curriculum that requires learners to work independently, be self-motivated, and who will require a minimal amount of IEP services from a special education certified provider.
- Q: Will related services be provided?
A: Related services will be provided remotely and to the greatest extent possible (Adapted Physical Education, Hearing/Vision Services, Speech, Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Transportation).
- Q: Who will be my child’s special education teacher?
A: A certificated SUSD special education teacher who will provide the minimal amount of IEP instruction as stated in the IEP.
- Q: Does Scottsdale Online offer special education courses?
A: No, Scottsdale Online utilizes a general education curriculum.
- Q: What if my child is not successful in the Scottsdale Online Learning Model?
A: The IEP team would reconvene to discuss concerns, options and next steps.
- Q: What courses are available for my student?