The Scottsdale Unified School District was founded in 1896 by Major Winfield Scott, also the founder of the city of Scottsdale. The first classes were taught by Aliza Bount, who, for health reasons, moved to Arizona from Illinois with her husband George and their three children. Classes were held in their adobe home, which was just south of what is now Civic Center Plaza and Second Street. Aliza Bount was paid $40 a month to teach the eight to 10 students from the seven families who resided in Scottsdale at that time.
The District's first bond election was held May 1, 1909, with 13 citizens voting "yes" and zero citizens voting "no." The amount of the bond, $5,000, was used to build our first school, now known as the "Little Red Schoolhouse." This building, also known at the time as Coronado School, is a historic site on Scottsdale Mall and now the home of the Scottsdale Historical Society.