The Scottsdale Unified School District uses the Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT) and the Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Tests (NNAT2) as evaluation instruments for identifying students who are eligible for gifted education services. Abilities measures are helpful for identifying children who may be gifted. These assessments are designed to be given only once in a calendar year. Students may test only once each school year. SUSD offers testing in the Fall and Spring for grades K-1, 3-8. In addition, all second graders are tested in the Winter. Specific dates are listed below. Other tests that SUSD will consider in the identification process are listed on the Arizona Department of Education's website. Please refer to the outside testing protocol. Results from an approved test on the ADE Test List from schools or private licensed psychologist on the approved provider list are accepted. SUSD Gifted Department reserves the right to decline a request or offer a different test than was requested.
Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT)
The Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT) is an assessment that consists of three batteries which measure three reasoning abilities: sequential reasoning, inductive reasoning, and quantitative reasoning. The assessment of general reasoning abilities reflect the overall efficiency of cognitive processes and strategies that enable individuals to learn new tasks and solve problems, especially in the absence of direct instruction.
Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test
The Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test (NNAT2) is a brief, nonverbal measure of general ability. The items presented to students are considered nonverbal because designs requiring spatial analysis are used and verbal knowledge and skills are not required. The approach provides a reliable and valid evaluation of any student’s ability despite cultural or linguistic diversity.
Gifted Testing Timeline
Testing for gifted is offered multiple times a year: fall, winter and spring, targeting different groups. Gifted Testing is used to identify students whose unique learning profile requires a specialized learning environment to reach their full potential. Pre-Kindergarten testing is available for a $120 testing fee. Results are only available by email. Registration fees for Pre-Kergarten are non-refundable.
Parents will receive notification of specific testing dates for each site prior to the test administration. Notification of individual test results will be sent via U.S. Postal Mail within 30 days of the close of the testing window.
Students can be assessed once per calendar year on each the two assessments utilized by the district, the Cognitive Abilities Test and/or the Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test.
Once identified as a gifted learner, further testing is not required unless a specialized program is sought. Parents may register their student for testing according to this schedule:
- Pre-Kindergarten: one-on-one test determined by age of child when tested. Non-refundable fee of $120 must be paid to schedule a session. Bring a copy of birth certificate, proof of residence and check or money order for $120. Registration for Pre-K testing (only) must be done through the Community Service Department.
- Future Kindergartener: Must be minimum of four years old at time of testing and will be five by September 1st. Students will be assessed using the NNAT2 in a small group setting. Register for Future Kindergartener testing (only) by contacting the Gifted Education Department at 480-484-5014.
- Fall testing: Students in Grades 3 will only be able to take NNAT2 in the fall; Grades 4-8 may take either the NNAT2 or CogAT
- Winter testing: All Second grade students will be tested using the CogAT.
Click here to read how to opt-out of the testing.
Click here to continue to Single Sign On.
- Spring testing: Students in Grades K-1, 3-8 may take either the CogAT or NNAT2 dependent on prior testing. Students in Grade 2 may take NNAT 2 (only).
2020-2021 Gifted Testing Schedules
Future Kindergarten Testing
Fall Gifted Testing - Grades K-1, 3-8
Winter Gifted Testing - 2nd Grade Blanket Testing
Spring Gifted Testing - Grades K-1, 3-8