PACT Integrated Reading/Accelerated Math
Content replacement in Mathematics through the Accelerated Math program is available to students in grades 3-5 at each elementary school. Starting in 4th grade gifted learners also participate in Integrated Reading.
Curriculum in these classes offers both acceleration and enrichment to provide an appropriately challenging level of educational rigor. SUSD gifted specialists are state certified and have specific certification and training to work with gifted students. Gifted Enrichment Coach, Aimee Sulit provides support to cluster teachers and gifted specialists. Additional enrichments and integrated learning opportunities are provided across the grade levels by the cluster teachers.
Curriculum in Accelerated Math and Integrated Reading includes:
- Socratic Seminars
- Junior Great Books
- Classic and Contemporary literature
- Project Based Learning
- Integrated curriculum
- Advanced problem-solving instruction
- Math Olympiad & Continental Math competitions
- Grammar and vocabulary instruction using the work of Michael Clay Thompson
- As well as extensive thematic units developed by teachers in the district